At Twaweza, we are passionate about data. And we collect a lot of it, most especially through our Sauti za Wananchi and Uwezo platforms. And we are not the only ones, the Government of Tanzania has fairly recently started an open data portal, 167 datasets and counting.
But who uses all this data? Or is it destined to sit there and look pretty online with little practical application? We firmly believe that media are an important info-mediary, translating data which can sometimes be complex to interpret into stories for their audiences; putting the human face to the numbers.
So we have partnered with the Media Council of Tanzania to insert a data journalism award category into the prestigious Excellence in Journalism in Tanzania awards.
We will post the nominated journalists and their articles, as well as the winners, here over the coming months. Stay tuned!
Read more: data journalism
You might also like...
- Looking for Data to publish? Uwezo data are available for you (12 Apr 2017)
- Request for Proposals | Sauti za Wananchi Uganda (6 Apr 2017)
- Are Our Children Learning? Uwezo Tanzania Sixth Learning Assessment Report (9 Apr 2017)
- Bits and Bytes: develop, connect, inspire (29 Mar 2017)
- Insights on public agency in education (27 Mar 2017)
- Appetite for accountability in Tanzania:Translating election-time signals into accountability values (22 Mar 2017)
- Half empty or half full? Water, sanitation and hygiene in Kenya (21 Mar 2017)