How (un)equal is East Africa? And does it matter? Twaweza's Open Development Consultant, Ben Taylor, has produced a video on the topic for his blog, mtega.com. drawing from recently published data. The key messages are stark:
The richest 1% in East Africa own as much wealth as the poorest 91%.
The richest six individuals in East Africa own as much as half the region’s population: 66 million people.
See the video for more information:
You might also like...
- Let the people speak | Citizens' views on political leadership (21 Sep 2015)
- Are teachers teaching? And do they understand their subjects? (24 Nov 2014)
- Twaweza partner MEDEVA shines at Kenya's Journalism Awards (8 May 2014)
- Follow Your Money: Kenya Budget Visualisation Dashboard (31 May 2012)
- Looking for Data to publish? Uwezo data are available for you (12 Apr 2017)
- Request for Proposals | Sauti za Wananchi Uganda (6 Apr 2017)
- Are Our Children Learning? Uwezo Tanzania Sixth Learning Assessment Report (9 Apr 2017)