As the deadline to hold a referendum on the proposed constitution draws near, citizens’ views are largely split. Just over half of citizens (52%) say they would vote For the proposed draft. One out of four (26%, or half of those in favour) say they will vote Against. Slightly more than one in five (22%) are undecided.
In 2014, when the second draft from the Constitutional Review Commission (CRC) was being debated by the Constituent Assembly, a larger group (65%) said that they would vote for the CRC draft to pass and fewer citizens (21%) said they would vote Against the proposed draft at the time. Although the numbers still indicate that the proposed constitution would pass on Mainland Tanzania, the margins have tightened.
Citizens’ views also reflect the uncertainty surrounding the whole process. Just over a month before the deadline, the voter registration process is incomplete. Half of citizens (47%) think that the next general elections will take place under a new constitution, but a significant minority (30%) think the elections will take place under the current constitution.
These findings were released by Twaweza in a research brief titled Towards the Referendum: Tanzanians’ views on the proposed draft of the constitution. The brief is based on data from Sauti za Wananchi, Africa’s first nationally representative high-frequency mobile phone survey. The findings are based on data collected from 1,399 respondents across Mainland Tanzania (Zanzibar is not covered in these results) in January and February 2015. Previous rounds of Sauti za Wananchi (Fifth round: July 2013 and Fourteenth Round: February / March 2014) are used to track trends over time. It is important to note that polling covered a representative sample of all citizens in Mainland Tanzania.
Organizations: Twaweza East Africa
Type: Policy brief
- Towards the Referendum | Policy Brief | 1.36 MB
- As referendum deadline draws near, citizens are undecided about their vote | Press Release | 290.71 KB
- Kuelekea Kura ya Maoni | Policy Brief | 1.33 MB
- Kadiri muda wa kura ya maoni kuhusu Katiba Inayopendekezwa unavyowadia, wananchi hawajaamua “ndiyo” au “hapana” | Press Release | 377.34 KB
You might also like...
- Great expectations: Citizens' views about the gas sector (31 Aug 2015)
- In the public eye: Citizens' views on access to information (15 Jun 2015)
- Our safety? Citizens’ views on security and justice (28 Apr 2015)
- The key to life? Citizens’ views on education (16 Jul 2015)
- Sauti za Wananchi launched in Kenya (14 Mar 2016)
- Half empty or half full? Citizens’ views on accessing clean water (26 Nov 2015)
- Guardians of Accountability: Citizen knowledge and opinions regarding oversight bodies (24 Feb 2015)