Sauti za Wananchi
Uwazi is part of Twaweza. Our main base is in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania but we are increasingly also active in Kenya and Uganda.
Uwazi seeks to 'liberate' data and information so as to better inform public discussion. Our mission is to enable key actors to have access to timely, reliable, relevant and easy to understand information and analyses which enhance public debate and accountability, and that contribute to citizen agency and action.
Uwazi serves two primary audiences. First, Uwazi provides information and analytical support to Twaweza's partners, such as Uwezo. Second, Uwazi serves to better inform key actors in society whose actions have a significant influence on public wellbeing. These include Members of Parliament, media editors and journalists, civil society leaders and academicians, and development partners.
Often significant amount of information and data exists, but is not available in a form that is easily accessible to key actors. Uwazi works to create greater access, by making selected data sets and reports available online, as well as by developing short analytical briefs and other material that make the information more meaningful and put facts in perspective. Particular attention is given to making the information succinct, visual and compelling to the key audiences. As a general rule, publications are produced in both English and Swahili.
Our core values
- To be methodologically robust and analytically sound.
- To value and protect the integrity of our sources.
- To ensure that our data and analyses are reliable, timely and publicly accessible.
- To be impartial and to present information in a fair and balanced manner.
- To communicate in a clear, succinct, straightforward and compelling manner.
- To collaborate with others, to delegate where feasible and to avoid duplication of effort.
- To appreciate in our partners and our staff their competencies and innovation.
- To be critical in a constructive manner, to have open minds and to be ready to admit mistakes.
- To learn and to continuously improve ourselves.
Areas of work
- Transparency, Governance and Accountability
- Use of Public Resources
- Basic Education
- Primary Health Care
- Citizen agency, including business envi ronment for citizens