Our partner in Mkuranga, Comprehensive Support to Persons with Disability (COSUPED), presented the 2013 national report and 2015 district report for Mkuranga on 15 June at Parapanda Hall.
The attendees included Mkuranga District Education Officer (Secondary Schools) Mr Benjamin Mjoe as the guest of honor, head teachers, teachers and students from Mkuranga Primary School, the local Tanzania Teachers' Union representative, Uwezo Volunteers, village leaders from Mpeko and parents.
The program consisted of an overview of the assessment and twaweza's work, a presentation of findings from the latest assessments and entertainment from the children of Mkuranga Primary School.
After hearing the findings, Mjoe spoke about Mkuranga’s poor performance compared to other areas in the country. He said this was also evident in their inability to achieve an 80% pass rate in national exams despite the Big Results Now (BRN) reforms and approaches. However, he is hopeful that they are on the right track now. He appreciated that such reports remind and give the district education office and other stakeholders a wake-up call to put more efforts into their work. He also stated that the data presents an opportunity for everybody - teachers, parents, children and the community - to get involved in ensuring children are learning.
Uwezo district level discussions to are also being held in a number of other districts in the country. Updates from these events will continue to be posted as they happen.
You might also like...
- Are Our Children Learning? Uwezo Tanzania Sixth Learning Assessment Report (9 Apr 2017)
- Are Our Children Learning? Uwezo Uganda Sixth Learning Assessment Report (15 Dec 2016)
- Are Our Children Learning? Uwezo Kenya Sixth Learning Assessment Report (14 Dec 2016)
- Are our children learning? Literacy and numeracy across East Africa (6 Jun 2015)
- Uwezo Tanzania Annual Learning Assessment Report Launch (19 Aug 2016)
- Talking education in Morogoro Urban (29 Jul 2016)
- Talking education in Sengerema, Mwanza (26 Jul 2016)