Dr. Sipho Moyo, Africa’s Director of One, cites Twaweza as an example of civil society organisations whose work empowers local people to hold decision-makers to account, so that health, education and other services are improved.
ONE is a grassroots advocacy and campaigning organization that fights extreme poverty and preventable disease by raising public awareness and pressuring political leaders to support smart and effective policies and programs that are saving lives.
Dr Moyo writes on One blog that technology is recasting relations of power in Africa as citizens can now use gadgets to monitor quality of service and hold government accountable. Read more
You might also like...
- UK minister endorses ShujaazFM (27 May 2011)
- Mobile Phones Transforming Development in Africa (24 Jun 2011)
- UK Guardian recognizes Twaweza partner Huduma in Kenya (20 May 2011)
- What do citizens do to improve service delivery? (16 Apr 2013)
- Ni Sisi inspires music videos (28 Mar 2013)
- Discussing public services one SMS at a time (15 Jan 2013)
- The Community Together: Observations from Immersion 2012 (11 May 2012)