MobileActive.org reports on Twaweza partner Daraja and the pilot phase of its Maji Matone (Water Drops) initiative. The 3-year initiative allows Tanzanians to report water point failure to the government using SMS. In the pilot phase, Daraja has received more than 800 SMSs and passed 200 of them to government water engineers who are now working to fix the broken water points. The Maji Matone initiative, which will launch nationwide in September 2011, transforms water management by giving citizens a direct opportunity to be heard and hold officials accountable.
Read more about Maji Matone.
You might also like...
- Dar citizens give their views on governance and electricity (27 Jul 2012)
- Citizen Monitoring puts Tanesco in hot seat over power outages (3 Apr 2012)
- Monitoring Services in Dar es Salaam (2 Mar 2012)
- Tanzanian eating habits change as food prices rise (3 Feb 2012)
- Citizens ask Governments to make Budgets Open (18 Nov 2011)
- Fix education mess, donors tell Government (15 Nov 2011)
- Government official: 3000 pupils unable to read in Iringa (15 Nov 2011)