A recent survey conducted by Uwazi at Twaweza has revealed mixed results in terms of healthcare delivery for residents of Dar es Salaam.
The briefing, What does Dar make of health? Health serviceand practice in Dar es Salaam, found that some front-line interventions implemented by the government have delivered strong results, with 95% of households reporting ownership of at least one mosquito net. However, in contrast, just over half of the respondents reported treating their water before consumption.
The variation in results was also demonstrated by responses to questions about healthcare facilities. Although consultations appear to be of a similar standard in public and private facilities, there was much greater dissatisfaction among users of government healthcare facilities. Long waiting times and the prevalence of corruption are the most likely factors causing this dissatisfaction.
‘Recent achievements in health in Tanzania may have been reached through the easier (‘low-hanging fruit’) interventions, such as distributing free mosquito nets,’ according to the brief. ‘Making further gains is likely to be much harder as it will entail addressing aspects of quality of care, including better diagnosis, responsiveness to patients, and improvements in drug supply.’
The brief is available in English and Swahili.
- What does Dar make of health? (Policy Brief) | 695.12 KB
- Significant short term success has been achieved in healthcare (Press Release) | 300.29 KB
- What does Dar make of health? (Policy Brief) | 727.49 KB
- Significant short term success has been achieved in healthcare (Press Release) | 216.31 KB
You might also like...
- Dar parents know little about their children's education (28 Aug 2012)
- What does Dar make of governance? (19 Dec 2012)
- What do Tanzanians know and think about Twaweza? (6 Sep 2016)
- More money alone will not solve medical stock outs (19 May 2014)
- Sauti za Wananchi monthly series | Health facilities and citizens (5 May 2014)
- Do people listen to Uncle Kochi Kochi (2 Dec 2013)
- Do people watch Minibuzz? (10 Sep 2013)