Call for Consultancy Proposals – Tanzania
Twaweza East Africa is a regional non-governmental organization registered in Tanzania with offices in Kenya and Uganda. Broadly, our work focuses on both the demand (citizen) and supply (government) sides of decision-making processes (governance). Currently, Twaweza is implementing its third strategic plan (2019-2022) guided by a three-part mission statement:
- To demonstrate (in selected geographies) that citizens can come together and collectively organize to solve their local systemic problems;
- To systematically gather and amplify citizen’s views and encourage policymakers to respond to citizens’ views and priorities; and
- To contribute to creating an enabling environment for meaningful citizen-government collaboration in bringing about sustainable and equitable development.
This strategic plan describes the theory of change and accompanying progress markers for assessing our contribution to solving these problems. Addressing wicked problems also calls for diverse trials that are adaptive, creative, and collaborative in nature, otherwise known as ‘clumsy solutions. Learning, particularly learning from key stakeholders, becomes of paramount importance in dealing with wicked problems.
It is crucial for Twaweza to gather critical and constructive feedback from key stakeholders on our work to appraise effective and efficient ways to continue its mission in uncertain and dynamic contexts. We use this feedback to assess various aspects of the relevance of our initiatives in addressing the identified problems, appropriateness of our strategies and tactics, progress towards the intended impact on citizens, civil society and the society at large; and how to better manage relations and collaboration with key stakeholders from important sectors including media, Government, civil society, development partners, and academic/research institutions, among others.
The objective of the activity
The objective of this short-term consultancy is to gather critical feedback through individual in-depth interviews with selected key informants from the media, civil society community, academics/researchers, public sector (senior Government officials and politicians), and development partners (donor community and international organizations) on Twaweza’s work. Findings from the interviews will be synthesized for internal reflections i.e. inform our future implementation and external reporting.
Key Tasks And Planned Activities
- Review the interview guide developed by Twaweza and finalize it.
- Develop a work plan, budget, and timeline for carrying out the assignment.
- Collect data through interviews and documentary reviews (where necessary), analyze the data and produce a draft report.
- Submit a draft report to Twaweza including an executive summary and PPT slides to be presented to all Twaweza staff.
- Incorporate feedback and submit a final report.
The contract should be executed within the period from November 2022 to December 2022. Twaweza East Africa desires consultancies/a consultant that should not exceed 40 working days which will include preparation, data analysis, aggregation, and documentation of the final report.
At a minimum the consultancy or consultant must possess the following:
- Demonstrated social science research experience, particularly in qualitative analysis.
- Experience in conducting program and portfolio reviews.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience on relevant topics including governance, citizen participation, community development, accountability, and transparency among others.
- Good understanding of citizen agency and public policy advocacy environment.
- Excellent analytical and report-writing skills.
- Clear, effective writer in English.
- Personal skills: good communication, analytical, and drafting skills;
How to apply
Applicants should provide:
- A two-page application letter that expresses the applicant’s interest, availability, and qualifications to undertake the assignment; and a summary of the proposed approach to the work of no more than 5 pages (within the stipulated timelines)
- Updated CVs.
Application materials should be submitted to email@example.com cc firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Critical Feedback from Key Stakeholders of Twaweza – Tanzania All proposals should be submitted no later than November 1, 2022, 5.00 PM.
For more details, read the full Terms of Reference here.