A new education intervention, KiuFunza, involving sending of capitation grants directly to schools and paying teachers a bonus for performance has been launched. The program seeks to find effective means to improve learning outcomes in primary schools. The program will involve 35 schools per district in 11 districts of mainland Tanzania (Karagwe, Kigoma Rural, Geita, Kahama, Kondoa, Korogwe Rural, Lushoto, Sumbawanga Rural, Mbozi, Mbinga and Kinondoni) during 2013 and 2014.
KiuFunza is a collaborative undertaking of Twaweza, the Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH) and researchers with the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The initiative seeks to discover, through rigorous research, what really works in ensuring children learn. It will test a different method of implementing existing capitation grant policy and a new innovation that incentivizes teachers in public primary schools for improving learning and performance of their pupils.
KiuFunza was launched at the National Museum of Tanzania at an event that included representatives from government and civil society. Speakers included the Minister for Regional Administration and Local Government, Prime Minister's Office Hon. Hawa Ghasia (MP) and Dr Hassan Mshinda, Director General of COSTECH represented by Namwaka Omari-Mwaikinda, Policy Analyst. The districts in which the interventions will be carried out were also represented by Regional Administrative Secretaries, Council Chairpersons and District Education Officers. Several MPs also participated in the launch. Overall, there was broad agreement about the need to drive learning through innovation, and the value of serious evaluation to inform evidence based policy making.
- KiuFunza Research Design Summary | Briefing | 807.03 KB
- KiuFunza | Press Release | 323.06 KB
- Hon. Hawa Ghasia (MP), Minister for Regional Administration and Local Government | Speech | 280.34 KB
- Hon. Hawa Ghasia (MP) | Quotes from Speech | 264.4 KB
- Namwaka Omari—Mwaikinda (COSTECH) | Speech | 187.55 KB
- KiuFunza event | Photo (for media use) | 186.35 KB
- Hon. Hawa Ghasia (MP) and Rakesh Rajani (Twaweza) | Photo (for media use) | 177.54 KB
- Zitto Kabwe (MP) | Photo (for media use) | 108.5 KB
- Map of KiuFunza Districts | Image (for media use) | 134.11 KB
You might also like...
- Twaweza experiments with direct Capitation Grants and teacher Cash on Delivery (18 Jan 2016)
- Preliminary results of KiuFunza presented at two Primary Schools (8 Dec 2014)
- Request for Proposals | KiuFunza Randomized Evaluation: ethnographic component (3 Jul 2013)
- Tanzania: are our children learning? (29 Jul 2015)
- Indian education and freedom of information activists in Dar (19 Aug 2014)
- Twaweza and COSTECH Seminar on Impact Evaluation in Education (2 Jul 2014)
- A new booklet series on young citizen heroes (16 Jan 2014)